This course teaches you the core skills of Mindfulness, which is a particular way of paying attention to what is happening in your mind, body and what is going on around you. Over the 8 weeks you will be practising bringing a careful, kind and interested attention to your life.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Every session will have a different focus such as learning about the effects of stress, managing difficulty, developing balance in life. Sessions are made up of:
- Mindful meditation practices
- Discussion of your experience of the practices in large or small groups
- Practical exercises that relate to daily life
There are no tests, difficult questions and you don’t need yoga pants. All the discussions are invitational, if you prefer not to speak that is fine.
Over the course you will learn:
- A range of Mindfulness based skills that support a healthier, more balanced life
- What Mindfulness is and how to apply the technique in a way that best supports your lifestyle
- Formal and informal mindfulness practises including walking, sitting, movement and lying down
- How to train your attentional muscle and live optimally
There really are no limits to the inventive ways in which the skills you learn over the 8 weeks can be applied to you life.
People who have undertaken 8 week courses report that Mindfulness enhances their lives in many ways including:
- Developing greater self awareness and confidence
- Increasing your ability to manage stress
- Reducing anxiety and depression
- Supporting better sleep
- Improving relationships with others
- Increasing focus and concentration
- Enhanced ability to manage chronic pain
Find out more about the benefits of Mindfulness here
Each session lasts for 2 hours and runs once a week for the whole of the 8 week period. You don’t have to bring anything with you. During the session we will be sitting on chairs, if this isn’t your thing that’s fine, you’re more than welcome to bring a cushion, mat and or blanket for your own comfort. The group will be made up of between 10 – 15 people.
Every week I will be encouraging you to undertake mindful meditation home practice of 20 – 40 minutes for 6 days between classes. This is a very important part of the course and although it can sometimes be challenging to find the time, as the old adage goes ‘you get out what you put in’ – the more you practice the more significant the results will be. Mindfulness is a bit like gardening in that if you give your mindfulness practice lots of water, food and careful attention it will grow and thrive. All I ask is that you give it your best shot, no one will judge if you haven’t managed the home practice you will still be very welcome.
You will be provided with a booklet and reading materials to support you week to week as you move through the course. You will have lots of space to ask questions in the sessions and as much support from me as you need via email or telephone between sessions.
The cost of the course is £200 including VAT and includes all supporting materials. There are a few concession places available for people who are in receipt of benefits and not in work or full time students. Contact me here to register your interest in up coming courses.