This 8 week course is the gold standard MBSR/MBCT training developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn and is recognised as a highly effective way of learning mindfulness to support personal wellbeing. Over the 8 weeks you will explore a range of tools and techniques to develop your own, nourishing, mindfulness practice.
WHAT TO EXPECT
This course is highly experiential, inviting you to explore different meditation practices in the group and individually at home. Every session has a different theme and each week builds on the last so that by the end of the course you have a clear understanding of what mindfulness is and the tools to feel less stressed and live life more. Sessions are made up of:
- Mindful meditation practices
- Discussion of your experience of the practices in large or small groups
- Practical exercises that relate to daily life
There are no tests, difficult questions and you don’t need yoga pants. All the discussions are invitational, if you prefer not to speak that is fine.
Over the course you will learn:
- A range of Mindfulness based skills that support a healthier, more balanced life
- What Mindfulness is and how to apply the technique in a way that best supports your lifestyle
- Formal and informal mindfulness practises including walking, sitting, movement and lying down
- How to train your attentional muscle and live optimally
There really are no limits to the inventive ways in which the skills you learn over the 8 weeks can be applied to you life.
People who have undertaken 8 week courses report that mindfulness enhances their lives in many ways including:
- Developing greater self awareness and confidence
- Increasing your ability to manage stress
- Reducing anxiety and depression
- Supporting better sleep
- Improving relationships with others
- Increasing focus and concentration
- Enhanced ability to manage chronic pain
Find out more about the benefits of mindfulness here
Each session lasts for 2 hours and runs once a week for the whole of the 8 week period. You don’t have to bring anything with you. During the session we will be sitting on chairs, if this isn’t your thing that’s fine, you’re more than welcome to bring a cushion, mat and or blanket for your own comfort. The group will be made up of between 10 – 15 people.
Every week I will be encouraging you to undertake mindful meditation home practice of 20 – 40 minutes for 6 days between classes. This is a very important part of the course and although it can sometimes be challenging to find the time, as the old adage goes ‘you get out what you put in’ – the more you practice the more significant the results will be. Mindfulness is a bit like gardening in that if you give your mindfulness practice lots of water, food and careful attention it will grow and thrive.
You will be provided with a booklet and reading materials to support you week to week as you move through the course. You will have lots of space to ask questions in the sessions and as much support from me as you need via email or telephone.
The cost of the course is £200 including VAT and includes all supporting materials. There are a few concession places available for people who are in receipt of benefits and not in work or full time students. Contact me here to register your interest in up coming courses.